EVE Blog Banter #8: Fighter-class ships and sqadrons
May 26, 2009, 12:54 pm
Nobody asked me, but I thought I’d chime in on this one. Game mechanics are a veritable rathole of scary stuff. I’d like to see a few things changed, but something all new?
Welcome to the eighth installment of the EVE Blog Banter , the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux . The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here . Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from Ga’len at The Wandering Druid of Tranquility. He asks: “What new game mechanic or mechanics would you like to see created and brought into the EVE Online universe and how would this be incorporated into the current game universe? Be specific and give details, this is not meant to be a ‘nerf this, boost my game play’ post like we see on the EVE forums.”
I’m sure someone else has talked about piloted fighter squadrons, but that’s my choice. It’s kind of funny, as I play solo, but I would love to see the ability to set up a squadron of fighters that are either commanded by one pilot and the rest under AI, like solo play in some of the squad-based console games, or each pilot(ed) by capsuleers. Much like real fighter jets, they’d be small, with limited armor, but lots of speed and the ability to cause a bit of damage. Something like a micro-frigate concept, but specifically designed for group tactics, too fast for most standard ship weapons (requiring opposing fighters or frigs with tiny guns and lots of tracking bonuses) and dogfight-like UI that reminds one of a flight sim. Think X-wings or starfuries - tiny little things that are short-range (unable to warp on their own) but nasty in groups. Damage would be on par with Drones, maybe a bit more, but also modifiable with various ammo types. Short range (under 5k) shooters that can’t be targeted and hit by anything larger than a small gun (75mm anyone?), and too fast to hit with most missiles or rockets.
Let’s start with two classes for each race, a guns only fighter and a missiles fighter. Obviously R&D to maybe make a mixed-weapon fighter, or “stealth” fighters. Also brings about the possibility of atmospheric battles, as fighters would be designed for atmospheric flight.
- CrazyKinux’s Musing, EVE Blog Banter #8: Care for a little game of SecWars?
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, Wow, that new thing is so shiny!!!
- I am Keith Nielson, EVE Blog Banter #8 - Return of the Top Gun
- Once More from the Beginning, 8th EVE Blog Banter May 2009 Edition
- A merry life and a short one, EVE Blog Banter #8: In the Year of Our Awesome
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Planets
- Helicity Boson, Bantering the blog
- Achernar, Unique adventures
- Ecliptic Rift, OOC: EVE Blog Banter 8: Standings and secondary factions
- The New Edener, EVE Blog Banter #8
- Journey to New Eden, Eve Blog Banter #8: What new mechanic should be added to Eve?
- Life, The Universe and Everything, Blog banter 8: mentorship
- EVE Guru, EBB 8: Yarr! Prepare to be boarded!
- The Ralpha Dogs, Greed Is Good, Greed Works
- Rifter Drifter, Blog Banter 8: Strategic Gunnery
- A Mule in EVE, Expanding EVE
- Letrange’s EvE Blog, 8th Blog Banter
- Roc’s Ramblings, Blog Banter #8
- The Nude Nerd, Blog Banter #8
- More to come…